Sunday 10 June 2012

Talent at Euro 2012

I'm sure i'm not the only guy who watches international football to view some of the promising young talent that European teams offer. This tournament is no different and I find that in almost every game I earmark a number of players to keep tabs on. 

Lewandowski was one such player who I was keen to view first hand. I don't watch alot of Bundesliga football but I have read many reviews, all of which agree that he is a class act. This was evident during the first game against Greece, during which he took his goal extremely well. Reports linking him to Man United seem to have been blown completely out of proportion by the British media (surprised??) but as a United fan I certainly wouldn't say no if he arrived at Old Trafford.

Christian Eriksen is another that is seen as great prospect with a bright future. Having watched him in United's doomed Europa League campaign I couldn't help but think that he was slightly over-rated. He showed glimpses of his potential when bursting from the midfield during the two-legged affair but never really produced a display worthy of the excitement surrounding him. Even during the game against the Dutch he never really got going, the Danes defended deep and tried to score from a counter attack, which you would expect to be led by Eriksen. In reality it was Dennis Rommedahl that led the majority of the Danish attacks, prompting me to think that Eriksen might not be the future star that some were hoping for. Maybe i'm just being cynical, or maybe I'm missing something that everyone else can see, but I don't think he has a future at one of Europe's elite clubs. 

At this stage I think it's only fair to point out the other type of talent that every cameraman seems to find interesting. In almost every game there has been a huge focus on the 'European cuisine' and I for one, hope to see much more in the games to come, especially in any Sweden game.

France are team that are rebuilding and one man seems to be a shining light in a national team that has lost its way. Yann M'Vila is touted as one of the best young midfielders in Europe. It is likely that he will end up in the Premier League next season, with Arsenal the club anticipated to land his signature. I haven't actually seen him play in a live game and refuse to use YouTube as a reliable source to ascertain if someone has got talent, so I look forward to the England v France game to see how he plays.

Obviously there will be a wealth of young talent on show during the competition and this is the main reason I will be watching as many matches as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment